5 Things to do When You’re Out in Nature
Estimate 2-minute read
With so much focus upon the effect of human waste upon our natural environment, being outdoors in the summer months presents the perfect opportunity to be proactive and do your bit to make a difference.
Living a clean lifestyle and being aware of our impact on the eco-systems around us go hand in hand. And it’s so simple to develop earth-friendly habits that you can use every day!
Here are my 5 suggestions of small things you can do to help the environment.
- Start small: The first thing to say is that ‘doing your bit’ doesn’t have to be intensive or taxing. Being more aware of your own actions is a great place to start. Our collective choices drive positive change. Take your own disposable mug for your daily take-out coffee, shop local to reduce food miles, turn off lights when leaving a room, reuse your plastic bags for shopping. Simply changing your own habits will help you to think with the environment in mind…naturally.
- Collect waste: The start of July marks ‘Clean Beaches’ week in the UK and beach goers are being encouraged by the Clean Beach Coalition (www.cleanbeaches.com) to spend a bit of time collecting waste they find on the beaches. But it’s not just our beaches that suffer from waste issues. Riverbanks, parklands and moorlands also need our help. If you can carry a folded waste bag with you wherever you go and fill it, you are doing a wonderful thing.
- If you’re packing a picnic, choose re-useable packaging. Sounds obvious but the lure of ready-made picnic snacks can be all too strong. Unfortunately, these nifty snacks are often heavily packaged in non-recyclable wrapping. If you can give yourself more time to prepare for your day out, make a home-made feast! Your resealable containers also allow you to take any leftovers home. Check out Generous Ape for sustainable homeware and fashion brands.
- Use public transport to get to your destination, car share, walk or ride a bike – all reduces your carbon footprint.
- Stop, look, listen and inhale: Giving yourself time to enjoy the beauty of nature around us offers you a chance to deeply connect with our natural planet. This increases your awareness and desire to be more conscious in your choices and actions, making the rest…simple really!
I’m always happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions on the issues we raise. Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We make good products, using good ingredients, that are good for you and good for our planet. All good things - We are Sakrid.